Friday, September 14, 2012

Pay It Forward



Recently my daughter entered the 6th grade.  This was the year for joining band.  She had taken piano lessons for the previous two years, and though we were unable to afford piano lessons this year, band was going to have to be enough for her music education.

The piano teacher called me on the phone after hearing a message I’d left about cancelling lessons.
“You know, there is a scholarship fund for students at Asheville Music School,” Mary Jo said to me.  According to Mary Jo, after the unexpected death of Paul Thorpe, Asheville Music School’s director, last summer, the arts community came together to make his wish come true: A Scholarship Program for students of the school.

“And,” Mary Jo continued, “if the program only is able to cover ½ of the tuition, I will teach her for free to make up for the other part.”  

My spirits lifted at this moment.  Did I hear her correctly?  Yes, my daughter’s piano teacher was reaching out to us, enabling my daughter to continue with her lessons, even though we had not been able to afford it this year.

With my heart expanded and a smile on my face, I offered to do something for Mary Jo that I thought would be a benefit for her, and a pleasure for me.  “Please let me make a website for you.”

We will be getting together soon to discuss Mary Jo’s website.  Whether she wants to promote herself as a piano teacher, or reach out to Western North Carolina with information on how to book her jazzy soul-filled band, I am hopeful that this website will give her beautiful extra exposure in her musical career.

No comments:

Post a Comment